Sonoma County’s Historical Landmarks
Sonoma County is home to 27 California Historical Landmarks, including six of the original 20 landmarks officially designated by the Department of Natural Resources on June 1, 1932. The emphasis was on well-known places and events in California History, especially missions, early settlements, battles, and the gold rush.
Most Sonoma County landmarks are in and around the city of Sonoma, and many relate to Mariano Vallejo. Others are scattered throughout the county.
Historical Landmarks are buildings, structures, sites or places that have been determined to have statewide historical significance. Designated by the number in the order they were added to the statewide list, here are Sonoma County’s state Historical Landmarks.
California Historical Landmark No. 820
Constructed of redwood in 1859 by New England ship's carpenters on land donated by Jasper O'Farrell, the church has served this coastal community continuously for over a century. Father Louis Rossi was appointed pastor on March 8, 1860, and Archbishop Alemany dedicated the church on June 2, 1861.
Location: Bodega Hwy near Bodega Ln, Bodega
On July 4, 1823, Padre José Altamira founded this northernmost of California's Franciscan missions, the only one established in California under independent Mexico. In 1834, secularization orders were carried out by Military Commandant Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, and Mission San Francisco Solano became a parish church serving the Pueblo and Sonoma Valley until it was sold in 1881.
Location: Sonoma State Historic Park, NW corner of Spain at 1st St E, Sonoma
The home of Gen. Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, known as “Lachryma Montis” (Tears of the Mountain), was built in 1850. Its name was derived from the springs that now are the source of Sonoma's water supply. Gen. Vallejo, born at Monterey July 7, 1808, was commander of the northern Mexican frontier, founder of the Pueblo of Sonoma, and a member of the first Constitutional Convention of California.
Location: Vallejo Home, Sonoma State Historic Park, Spain at 3rd St W, Sonoma
Founded in 1812 by Russians from Alaska. When Russians later withdrew from California in 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies that remained at the fort on the Sonoma Coast. The State acquired the fort in 1906 and the remaining buildings, a Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandant's Quarters and Stockade, were restored. The chapel, destroyed by fire in 1970, was reconstructed in 1974.
Location: 19005 Coast Hwy, State Hwy 1 (P.M. 33.0), 12 mi N of Jenner
On June 14, 1846, the Bear Flag Party raised the Bear Flag on this spot and declared California free from Mexican rule. Following the raising of the American flag at Monterey July 7, 1846, by Commodore John Drake Sloat, on July 9 the Bear Flag was hauled down and the American flag raised in its place by U.S. Army Lt. Joseph W. Revere, who had been sent to Sonoma from San Francisco by Commander John B. Montgomery of the U.S. Sloop-of-War Portsmouth.
Location: Sonoma Plaza, E Spain and 1st St E, Sonoma
Erected by Gen. Vallejo about 1840 to accommodate emigrants and other travelers, the Inn was purchased in gold rush days by Cooper and Spriggs, two retired sea-faring men, and operated as hotel and store. It was among the first hostelries in Northern California. Notable guests, according to local tradition, included John C. Frémont, U. S. Grant, Gov. Pío Pico, Kit Carson, Fighting Joe Hooker, William T. Sherman, Phil Sheridan, and members of the Bear Flag Party.
Location: Sonoma State Historic Park, 133 E Spain St, Sonoma
The Petaluma Adobe served as the center of Gen. Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in Northern California. Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in 1857. The Native Sons of the Golden West acquired the Adobe in 1910 and the State of California obtained it in 1951.
Location: Petaluma Adobe State Historic Park, 3325 Adobe Rd, Petaluma
California Historical Landmark No. 234
In this garden Luther Burbank - celebrated in the early 20th Century as “The Plant Wizard” - wrought with living plants to bring to the world greater fertility, wealth and beauty, developing new varieties that produced better fruits and more beautiful flowers.
Location: 200 block of Santa Rosa Ave, Santa Rosa
California Historical Landmark No. 316
Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by Gen. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a “California Republic” and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma's Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took possession of California for the United States government. Stevenson's Regiment, Company C, U.S.A., occupied the barracks in April 1847.
Location: Sonoma State Historic Park, NW corner of E Spain and 1st St E, Sonoma
California Historical Landmark No. 392
Founded in 1857, this is the birthplace of California wine. Its founder, Col. Agoston Haraszthy, called the father of the state's wine industry, toured Europe in 1861 to gather grape vine cuttings. He oversaw planting the vineyards and digging wine storage tunnels into the limestone rock of the hillsides.
Location: 18000 Old Winery Rd, 2 mi NE of Sonoma