Constructed of redwood in 1859 by New England ship's carpenters on land donated by Jasper O'Farrell, the church has served this coastal community continuously for over a century. Father Louis Rossi was appointed pastor on March 8, 1860, and Archbishop Alemany dedicated the church on June 2, 1861.
Location: Bodega Hwy near Bodega Ln, Bodega
Mission San Francisco Solano
On July 4, 1823, Padre José Altamira founded this northernmost of California's Franciscan missions, the only one established in California under independent Mexico. In 1834, secularization orders were carried out by Military Commandant Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, and Mission San Francisco Solano became a parish church serving the Pueblo and Sonoma Valley until it was sold in 1881.
Location: Sonoma State Historic Park, NW corner of Spain at 1st St E, Sonoma
General M.G. Vallejo Home
The home of Gen. Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo, known as “Lachryma Montis” (Tears of the Mountain), was built in 1850. Its name was derived from the springs that now are the source of Sonoma's water supply. Gen. Vallejo, born at Monterey July 7, 1808, was commander of the northern Mexican frontier, founder of the Pueblo of Sonoma, and a member of the first Constitutional Convention of California.
Location: Vallejo Home, Sonoma State Historic Park, Spain at 3rd St W, Sonoma
Founded in 1812 by Russians from Alaska. When Russians later withdrew from California in 1841, Captain Sutter bought the improvements and supplies that remained at the fort on the Sonoma Coast. The State acquired the fort in 1906 and the remaining buildings, a Greek Orthodox Chapel, Commandant's Quarters and Stockade, were restored. The chapel, destroyed by fire in 1970, was reconstructed in 1974.
Location: 19005 Coast Hwy, State Hwy 1 (P.M. 33.0), 12 mi N of Jenner
Bear Flag Monument
On June 14, 1846, the Bear Flag Party raised the Bear Flag on this spot and declared California free from Mexican rule. Following the raising of the American flag at Monterey July 7, 1846, by Commodore John Drake Sloat, on July 9 the Bear Flag was hauled down and the American flag raised in its place by U.S. Army Lt. Joseph W. Revere, who had been sent to Sonoma from San Francisco by Commander John B. Montgomery of the U.S. Sloop-of-War Portsmouth.
Location: Sonoma Plaza, E Spain and 1st St E, Sonoma
Blue Wing Inn
Erected by Gen. Vallejo about 1840 to accommodate emigrants and other travelers, the Inn was purchased in gold rush days by Cooper and Spriggs, two retired sea-faring men, and operated as hotel and store. It was among the first hostelries in Northern California. Notable guests, according to local tradition, included John C. Frémont, U. S. Grant, Gov. Pío Pico, Kit Carson, Fighting Joe Hooker, William T. Sherman, Phil Sheridan, and members of the Bear Flag Party.
Location: Sonoma State Historic Park, 133 E Spain St, Sonoma
The Petaluma Adobe served as the center of Gen. Vallejo’s 66,000-acre working rancho from 1836-1846. It was once the largest privately owned adobe building in Northern California. Vallejo sold the building and surrounding acres in 1857. The Native Sons of the Golden West acquired the Adobe in 1910 and the State of California obtained it in 1951.
Location: Petaluma Adobe State Historic Park, 3325 Adobe Rd, Petaluma
Luther Burbank Home & Gardens
California Historical Landmark No. 234
In this garden Luther Burbank - celebrated in the early 20th Century as “The Plant Wizard” - wrought with living plants to bring to the world greater fertility, wealth and beauty, developing new varieties that produced better fruits and more beautiful flowers.
Location: 200 block of Santa Rosa Ave, Santa Rosa
Presidio of Sonoma (Sonoma Barracks)
California Historical Landmark No. 316
Sonoma Barracks was erected in 1836 by Gen. Vallejo. It became the headquarters of the Bear Flag Party, which in June 1846 proclaimed a “California Republic” and raised the Bear Flag on Sonoma's Plaza. Twenty-three days later, on July 7, 1846, Commodore John Drake Sloat took possession of California for the United States government. Stevenson's Regiment, Company C, U.S.A., occupied the barracks in April 1847.
Location: Sonoma State Historic Park, NW corner of E Spain and 1st St E, Sonoma
Buena Vista Winery & Vineyards
California Historical Landmark No. 392
Founded in 1857, this is the birthplace of California wine. Its founder, Col. Agoston Haraszthy, called the father of the state's wine industry, toured Europe in 1861 to gather grape vine cuttings. He oversaw planting the vineyards and digging wine storage tunnels into the limestone rock of the hillsides.
Location: 18000 Old Winery Rd, 2 mi NE of Sonoma
California Historical Landmark No. 392-1
Here is where Haraszthy, “Father of California Viticulture,” built an imposing villa in 1857-58. California's first formal Vintage Celebration, a masked ball, was held at this site on Oct. 23, 1864. Gen. and Mrs. Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo were guests of honor. While living here, Haraszthy oversaw operations of the Winery and Buena Vista Vinicultural Society.
Location: Castle Rd near Buena Vista Winery, Sonoma
The Swiss Hotel
California Historical Landmark No. 496
The Swiss Hotel was constructed about 1850 by Don Salvador Vallejo. This adobe adjoined his first Sonoma dwelling, built in 1836. Occupied by various pioneers, in 1861 it was the house of Dr. Victor J. Faure, vintner of prize-winning wines made from the grapes of the Vallejo family vineyards. Later, it was used as a hotel and restaurant.
Location: 18 W Spain St, Sonoma
Salvador Vallejo Adobe
California Historical Landmark No. 501
This was the home of Capt. Salvador Vallejo, brother of Gen. Mariano G. Vallejo, who founded Sonoma. The adobe was built by Indian labor between 1836 and 1846, and was occupied by Capt. Vallejo and his family until the Bear Flag Party seized Sonoma on June 4, 1846. Cumberland College, a Presbyterian coeducational boarding school, was located here from 1858 to 1864.
Location: 421-1st St W, Sonoma
Italian Swiss Colony
California Historical Landmark No. 621
Here in 1881 Italian immigrants established an agricultural colony. Choice wines produced from grape plantings from the Old World soon brought wide acclaim. By 1905, 10 gold medals had been awarded these wines at international competition.
Location: 10 mi S on Asti Post Office Rd from Asti Rs, thru Winery Gates, plaque at office door, Asti
Union Hotel and Union Hall
California Historical Landmark No. 627
The original hotel was a one-story adobe, the adjoining hall was a one-story frame structure. After the fire of 1866, a two-story stone hotel and a two-story frame hall with rooms upstairs for hotel guests were built. The Union Hotel was conducted as a hotel until 1955, when the Bank of America acquired the property.
Location: 35 Napa and 1st St W, Sonoma
California Historical Landmark No. 667
This house was built by H. A. Green in 1847. Here John H. Nash was taken prisoner by Lt. William T. Sherman in July 1847 for refusing to relinquish his post as alcalde to Lilburn W. Boggs. The adobe was restored in 1931 by Zolita Bates, great-granddaughter of Nancy Patton Adler, who lived here after her 1848 marriage to Lewis Adler, pioneer merchant of San Francisco and Sonoma.
Location: 579 1st St E, Sonoma
California Historical Landmark No. 692
This was the site of Rancho Los Guilucos (18,833 acres), which Gov. Juan Bautista Alvarado granted to John Wilson and his wife, Ramona Carrillo, sister-in-law of Gen. Vallejo, in 1839. The house, constructed in 1858 by William Hood for his bride, Elsia Shaw of Sonoma, incorporates the original bricks fired on the property. The property was purchased in 1943 by the California Department of the Youth Authority for Los Guilucos School for Girls.
Location: Hood Mansion, 7501 Sonoma Hwy (Hwy 12), Santa Rosa
San Francisco Solano Vineyards
California Historical Landmark No. 739
Here the Franciscan Fathers of San Francisco Solano de Sonoma Mission produced sacramental wine from the first vineyard in Sonoma Valley, planted in 1825. After secularization of the mission in 1835, Gen. Vallejo, Commandant of Alta California's northern frontier, produced prize-winning wines from these grapes. A young immigrant from Italy, Samuele Sebastiani, with his wife Elvira, purchased this property in the early 1900s. Much of the original mission vineyard is still planted to choice wine grapes.
Location: 394 4th St E at Spain St, Sonoma
Jack London State Historic Park
California Historical Landmark No. 743
This is the “House of Happy Walls” built in 1919 by Charmian K. London in memory of her husband, renowned author Jack London. Here are housed many of his works and the collection gathered in their travels throughout the world. In 1960 Charmian's house, the ruins of Jack's “Wolf House,” and his grave were presented to the State by his nephew, Irving Shepard.
Location: Glen Ellen
Bodega Bay & Harbor
California Historical Landmark No. 833
Discovered in 1602-03 by Vizcaino's expedition, the bay was named by Bodega in his survey of 1775. The harbor was used in 1790 by Colnett and in 1809 and 1811 by the Kusov expeditions. The Russian-American company and their Aleut hunters used the bay as an outpost until 1841. Stephen Smith took control in 1843. Pioneer ships of many nations used Bodega Bay as an anchorage.
Location: Doran Park, 1.6 mi W of State Hwy 1 (P.M. 9.4), on Doran Beach Rd, 0.5 mi S of Bodega Bay
California Historical Landmark No. 835
In 1834, Gen. Vallejo's brother-in-law, John B. R. Cooper, constructed California's first known power-operated commercial sawmill. In addition to sawing redwood lumber, the mill and surrounding settlement served as a barrier to Russian encroachment from the west. Located on Mark West Creek, the water-powered mill was destroyed by flood in the winter of 1840-41.
Location: SW corner, intersection of Mirabel and River Rds (P.M. 174) near Mirabel Park, 8 mi W of Santa Rosa
California Historical Landmark No. 879
Cotati's hexagonal town plan, one of only two such in the United States, was designed during the 1890s by Newton Smyth as an alternative to the traditional grid. Each of the streets surrounding the six-sided town plaza, where early settler Dr. Thomas Page's barn once stood, is named after one of Page's sons. “Cotati” derives from the name of a local Indian chief.
Location: Downtown plaza, SE corner of Old Redwood Hwy and E Cotati Ave, Cotati
Walters Ranch Hop Kiln
California Historical Landmark No. 893
This is the most significant surviving example of a stone hop kiln in the North Coast region. Built by Angelo “Skinny” Sodini in 1905, it served the Russian River Valley and North Coast regions, once the major hop-growing areas in the West. In the latter part of the 19th Century, Sol Walters purchased 380 acres, part of the Sotoyome Rancho patented in 1853, from Josefa Fitch.
Location: 6050 Westside Rd, Healdsburg
California Historical Landmark No. 915
This site, historically and scientifically significant as the state's only petrified forest dating from the Eocene period, is unique in its size, scope and variety of petrification. Discovered in 1870, the forest is about a mile long by half a mile wide.
Location: 4100 Petrified Forest Rd, 5 mi NW of Calistoga
John Medica Gardens
California Historical Landmark No. 939
“Trying to make it look better,” John Medica spent 20 years transforming a barren hillside into a magical garden of plants and creative stone works. Castles were his greatest triumph. A native of Yugoslavia and self-taught, Medica created an oasis for people and animals to enjoy. This imaginative assemblage is one of California's remarkable Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments.
Location: 5000 Medica Rd, off Stonespring Rd in a gated community, Santa Rosa
California Historical Landmark No. 981
Icaria-Speranza was a Utopian community based on the writings of French philosopher Etienne Cabet. In 1881, at Cloverdale, French immigrant families led by the Dehay and Leroux families began their social experiment in cooperative living based on solidarity and depending on an agrarian economy. It lasted until 1886. Icaria-Speranza was the only Icarian Colony in California and the last of seven established throughout the United States. On this site stood the Icarian schoolhouse, deeded to the county in 1886.
Location: W side of Asti Rd, 1.68 mi N of Asti Post Office Rd, S of Cloverdale